Thursday, March 01, 2007

Nikon D80 vs Canon 30D

So I finally went into a shop (local London Drugs) and actually held the two camera's. I've been looking at both of these camera's online for I don't know how long.

Currently have two digital camera's but still feel limited in some the pictures I would like to take. I have a Canon A700 which is very nice for it size and takes very nice pictures. My other camera a Panasonic F20Z is very nice in the zoom (38 to 420 I believe) and F2.8 lens throughout but I still find for the real impressive pictures I am lacking in some the "features" as in smaller apertures then F8 and filters and the whole "noise" and quality level a DSLR should (I really hope) bring to a persons photos.

Now I will be honest I liked the D80 from Nikon from the moment it was released. On my travels I had the chance to hold and shoot a D50 and I loved the feel it felt good in my hands and I guess that spilled over from that. I've read that the Nikon's have a great solid feel to them compared with other camera's. From what I've seen I agree. The D80 seems to have all the features I think I will need and then some. Now where I live (Western Canada) the D80 is priced somewhere between the Canon Rebel XTi (EOS 400D) and the Canon 30D (higher end then the Rebel) so there was that choice... for whatever reason I really didn't like the Rebel so that wasn't a choice but after comparing the slightly (about 200-250 CAD) more expensive 30D I wasn't sure.

Now I'm a photographer that likes to take every kind of photo there is the very wide landscape to Wildlife so a wide range of lenses will be a consideration but from what I've read unless I need super long lenses either company should be ok in that regard. so how did the the camera's feel? As soon as I picked up the Canon 30D I knew it wasn't right it was just too big (and I have pretty big hands). I think its too tall in the grip. The D80 wasn't perfect but it felt much better. Whichever one I get I will have a little getting used to the controls thats for sure.

So which one will I get when I have the money... the Nikon D80. I feel you should almost always go with what your gut tells you anyway.

Here's a comparison of all the players

No comments: